Monday, November 17, 2014

Expecting the Unexpected


“Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.”
―Proverbs 3:5-6, KJV

I was four months pregnant when I was rushed into emergency surgery―the diagnosis: acute appendicitis. Afterward, I clung to my unspoken fear that the anesthesia would adversely affect our unborn child.

At our daughter’s birth, five months later, I was more anxious to know if our baby had ten fingers and ten toes than whether or not our child was a boy or a girl. Counting all her digits, I breathed a sigh of relief and a silent prayer dedicating her to the Lord and His will for her life. I didn’t realize the significance my prayer would have a few hours later.

The next morning, my husband, along with his mother and our pediatrician, entered my hospital room. Their downcast expressions pierced my joy-filled heart. Although words seemed unnecessary, the doctor proceeded to tell me our daughter had been born with Down syndrome.

Surely, he was mistaken. I’d just held her. Hadn’t I marveled at her strength as she lifted her tiny head from my shoulder? Hadn’t I unwrapped the pink flannel blanket to reveal all seven pounds of wrinkly flesh and counted every last finger and toe for myself? They were wrong. Our child was nothing less than perfect!

Reflecting on my surgery, I blamed her disability on the anesthesia. Our pediatrician assured us that nothing we did had caused this, and there was nothing we could have done to prevent it―Down syndrome is a chromosomal abnormality that results in intellectual and developmental disabilities.

Later that night, in the shadowy stillness of my hospital room, warring thoughts grappled for prominent position in my mind. I could do nothing to silence the incessant replay of our physician’s words inside my head, nor to dismiss the unwelcome companions of doubt and fear lodged deep within my heart. I thought of the delivery room and my initial relief. Now my joy suffered a crushing blow, unleashing an avalanche of contradictory emotions and prayers.

Oh, yes, the prayer―that prayer―the one surrendering our daughter to the Lord’s will. I so wanted to retract my words of grateful submission. Instead, I pleaded for miracles, miracles that would change the diagnosis, miracles that would somehow make everything different.


Life seldom unfolds as we expect. Mary’s didn’t. An unforeseen pregnancy interrupted her plans to marry Joseph. What questions and fears must have raced through her mind, yet her response was, “Behold, I am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word” (Luke 1:38, ESV). Mary yielded her plans to God and trusted in His wisdom―the outcome: salvation for all humanity.

It’s easy to offer prayers of grateful submission when things are going well, but to yield our ways to God’s when the unexpected comes crashing in is a true test of our character and faith. Surrender you challenges into the care of the One who holds your future. He is your salvation. Trust Him.

Now it's your turn to "get down." Have you ever wanted to retract a prayer or promise you've made to God? What was the end result?

I always welcome your comments.

Keep your sunny side up,
Starr

Day 2 of a five-day series which first appeared at www.zookeepersministries.com

No comments:

Post a Comment